Monday, September 8, 2008

There's Drama in the Market, But I'm Rehearsing My Scene

This last week I went out to the 6th Street Playhouse and saw the “Music Man.” My wife and I, along with another couple, had a wonderful time. This brought back lots of fond memories. When I was in high school, I was in all the school plays. I played Bo Decker in Bus Stop, Murray the Cop in The Odd Couple, Romeo in Romeo and Juliet, I played percussion for the musical You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown. And, in my senior year, I was the President of our Drama Club. I had lots of fun during these years, but upon graduation that was the end of my acting career. My dad told me I had to go out and make a living for myself. Ha, ha. Good advice from my Dad. Well, anyway, great memories and its fun to go out and see a play now and then. It’s much more fun than going to a movie. Have some fun—go see a play.

Talking about drama… the stock market moves this past week were like watching a soap opera. Who would have thought Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac would need to be bailed out by the government? (Who is going to bail out the government someday?) I think the market will continue to decline and therefore, I’m continuing to make conservative adjustments to investment portfolios.

I'm also in the research and development stages on a new portfolio design, I'm calling it the Green Label Portfolio. It's objective will be to achieve positive annual returns in any market conditions. When I was in the pension management business, we had a portion of the portfolio that had a "Tactical Asset Allocation" style to it--this is much different that a market-timing strategy. This TAA strategy makes moves between a few different asset classes based upon broad moves in the stock market cycle, with an attempt to take full advantage of up markets and protection from the down markets. Anyway, I'm still working on it. If you're interested in knowing more about this, send me an e-mail stating your interest.

No comments: